Ally@UNSW are trusted, safe, confidential contacts who pledge a commitment to learning, recommending areas for improvement at UNSW, and encourage LGBTQIA+ voices – sharing articles, posting on social media and engaging local areas to celebrate and recognise days of significance like Mardi Gras, IDAHOBIT and Wear It Purple day. Their role is to create a visible presence, take a proactive stance and cultivate an inclusive culture on campus.
Allies are not expected to be experts on diverse sexualities, sexes and genders. Members have completed training and are available to support LGBTQIA+ staff and students with confidential discussions and referral to support services and community organisations.
The role requires you to:
- Visibly identify using the ally@UNSW graphic in email signatures, work/study spaces, bios, etc
- Maintain zero tolerance of any non-inclusive behaviours/actions
- Provide an affirming open mind and ear and confidential space to listen
- Understand the level of fear and stigma associated with disclosing gender, sex or sexuality and therefore act without judgment and respect confidentiality at all times
- Provide referral to appropriate support services (internal and community), UNSW policies, procedures and practices
- Raise awareness of LGBTQIA+ issues and raise public visibility of the ally@UNSW network
- Challenge issues and negative speech/media on and off campus and keep informed about related resources and information
- Role model positive communication styles and actions
- Promote, volunteer for and attend community and university events that mark LGBTQIA+ days of significance
- Promote diversity and inclusion initiatives via media, teaching & promotional materials.